|Published:||Jul 27, 2011 7:31 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 27, 2011 6:31 PM EDT|
RIVERVIEW, Fla. (AP) - The Florida Highway Patrol says boaters found the submerged SUV that belonged to a Riverview man who was reported missing in June.
The body of 49-year-old David Lawrence Hughes was inside the vehicle, which came to rest in the center of the Alafia River. Boaters spotted the SUV Tuesday and notified FHP.
State troopers say Hughes lost control of his 2000 Ford Explorer as he drove north on Interstate 75 in the early morning hours of June 30. They say he drove over the barrier wall of the interstate and plummeted into the river. The vehicle came to rest on its roof, seven-feet below the river's surface.
Hughes was reported missing June 30. An autopsy will be conducted.
(Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Three hospitalized after early morning Cape Coral crash
- Lee deputies searching for 7-Eleven robber
- Lee deputies investigating death on Bokeelia
- Fort Myers criminal defense attorney commits suicide
- Charlotte County deputies investigate shooting at a party
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp festival happening this weekend
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge