|Published:||Jul 20, 2011 9:53 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 19, 2011 10:04 PM EDT|
NORTH FORT MYERS, Fla. - The Lee County Sheriff's Office has identified the teen killed in a dirt bike-ATV crash Tuesday as Ronald Koger, 13, of Cape Coral.
Deputies say Koger was riding a dirt bike that collided with an ATV Tuesday afternoon, inside an unfinished housing development of Del Prado Boulevard, near Suncoast Estates.
The driver of the ATV was identified as Matthew Buldo, 28, of Cape Coral. LCSO said Buldo suffered a head injury and is in stable condition.
"Ron (Koger's father) and I were swimming near here with my daughter and he heard the crash, I guess, and he just took off," said Denise Eads, who witnessed the aftermath of the crash.
Eads said the ponds and gravel roads among the tall weeds in the unfinished development have become a popular recreation area.
"Most of the time its all calm and they're having fun, its good," Eads said. "Other times it seems to me it could be a little dangerous."
Eads says the crash was especially sad for her friend's son...
"He was just bragging about how great it is and he wanted to grow up to be a dirt bike rider, do it professionally. He said that was his goal in life," Eads said. "He's a good child, he doesn't get in trouble, he works hard in school, he's a good kid. And I don't-- what do you do?"
Neighbors told WINK News the area is a hotbed for recreational vehicles.
It's unclear if the two were out riding together. But, what is clear say neighbors, is something needs to be done to keep people out of these woods.
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- Lee's family talks about new 911 dispatcher training
- CCSO investigates possible link in Waffle House robberies
- Driver in crash that killed Cypress Lake grad was drunk
- FWC releases rehabilitated panther in Hendry County
- Cincy firefighters are heating things up on FMB
- Changes to Lee Way mean customers buy new transponders
- Mom blames husband after driving kids into ocean
- School bus hits bicyclist on Pine Island Rd.