|Published:||Jun 30, 2011 6:10 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 30, 2011 5:11 PM EDT|
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say an Ohio man vacationing with his family jumped from a 19th-floor hotel balcony in central Florida.
Daytona Beach Fire Lt. Larry Stoney says 27-year-old Matthew Gray of Orrville, Ohio, survived Wednesday night's fall. Gray landed on the hood of a pickup truck parked on the top level of a parking garage 11 stories below. He was hospitalized Thursday in critical condition.
Police spokesman Jimmie Flynt says Gray was on the balcony with his family when he threatened to jump. Flynt says family members grabbed Gray to prevent him from jumping, but as soon as they turned to go back into the hotel room he jumped.
Flynt says alcohol appeared to be a factor.
(Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Neighbors saw red flags ahead of animal cruelty arrest
- Three hospitalized after early morning Cape Coral crash
- Fire officials say radios need upgrades by 2017
- Local repairman fixes broken Cape Coral clock for free
- Lee deputies searching for 7-Eleven robber
- Republican candidates take part in forum in Coliler County
- Lee deputies investigating shooting on Bokeelia