|Published:||Jun 23, 2011 9:31 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 23, 2011 9:34 AM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- The Lee County Sheriff's Office and FGCU police are investigating an overnight drowning in a pond on campus. The drowing victim is identifed as 21-year-old Joel Johnson from Lauderhill, Florida.
He is an FGCU student enrolled in summer classes. The Lee County Sheriff's Office says the drowning appears to be accidental.
A group of young adults was swimming in some water near Alico Arena around 1:00am. They were going back and forth between a trampoline in the pond when the victim went under. Other members of the group tried to find them and it's believed someone from shore called for help.
FGCU crisis counselors are expected on campus.
- Cab driver saves family from mobile home fire
- Cape city workers find small mobile meth lab in the woods
- Boil water notice in effect after N. Ft. Myers main break
- School bus catches fire in Lehigh Acres
- Attorney: Winston relieved no charges in sex case
- Officials: 35 pilot whales moving in deeper water
- Kohl's keeps doors open 'round the clock until Christmas Eve
- Miami man allegedly hid drugs in truck's door panel
- Oma's Heart to give out last vouchers for holiday toys
- JetBlue Airways opens flight route to Haiti