|Published:||Jun 23, 2011 9:31 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 23, 2011 9:34 AM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- The Lee County Sheriff's Office and FGCU police are investigating an overnight drowning in a pond on campus. The drowing victim is identifed as 21-year-old Joel Johnson from Lauderhill, Florida.
He is an FGCU student enrolled in summer classes. The Lee County Sheriff's Office says the drowning appears to be accidental.
A group of young adults was swimming in some water near Alico Arena around 1:00am. They were going back and forth between a trampoline in the pond when the victim went under. Other members of the group tried to find them and it's believed someone from shore called for help.
FGCU crisis counselors are expected on campus.
- Man surrenders after stand-off in St. James City
- EPA safety testing closes Desoto Middle School
- Collier school district approves new cyberbullying policy
- Florida election a test for Obama health care law
- Trial date set for daycare owner charged in boy's drowning
- Woman works to improve the Dunbar community
- Injunction for husband of woman who drove in ocean
- Ukrainian student in SWFL shares perspective on unrest
- FSU students spend spring break 'serving the underserved'
- Former head of Harborside sues City of Ft. Myers