|Published:||Jun 15, 2011 3:58 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 15, 2011 3:58 PM EDT|
WASHINGTON (AP) - Ahead of Father's Day, President Obama will host military fathers and their children for a screening of the movie "Cars 2" at the White House Wednesday.
The White House says the event is part of a yearlong "Strong Fathers, Strong Families" initiative that will highlight the role fathers play in creating strong families.
In a statement, The President says too many young people in America grow up with dads, and families and communities are challenged as a result.
The Obama administration will hold additional events highlighting the importance of fatherhood this week, including an effort to focus on fathers in public housing. Next week, the White House will spotlight 12 dads from around the country who are making strong contributions to their families and communities.
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- Lee's family talks about new 911 dispatcher training
- CCSO investigates possible link in Waffle House robberies
- Driver in crash that killed Cypress Lake grad was drunk
- FWC releases rehabilitated panther in Hendry County
- Cincy firefighters are heating things up on FMB
- Changes to Lee Way mean customers buy new transponders
- Mom blames husband after driving kids into ocean
- School bus hits bicyclist on Pine Island Rd.