|Published:||Jun 15, 2011 3:58 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 15, 2011 3:58 PM EDT|
WASHINGTON (AP) - Ahead of Father's Day, President Obama will host military fathers and their children for a screening of the movie "Cars 2" at the White House Wednesday.
The White House says the event is part of a yearlong "Strong Fathers, Strong Families" initiative that will highlight the role fathers play in creating strong families.
In a statement, The President says too many young people in America grow up with dads, and families and communities are challenged as a result.
The Obama administration will hold additional events highlighting the importance of fatherhood this week, including an effort to focus on fathers in public housing. Next week, the White House will spotlight 12 dads from around the country who are making strong contributions to their families and communities.
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Suspect in custody after Orlando-area school shooting
- 'Hazmat situation' determined not suspicious
- Support for smack cam victim grows, victim responds
- Water main break blocks Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41
- Alamo gun range set to open in February in Naples
- Toddler apparently drowned in canal
- Woman charged with DUI, crashing into school bus
- Grace Church's worm farms help students with special needs
- New marina, dry boat storage facility in Cape Coral