|Published:||Jun 10, 2011 6:38 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 10, 2011 1:23 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla.-- The 5th Annual Unity in the Community End of School Block Party is Friday, June 10th, across from the Dunbar Community School in Fort Myers.
What started as a concerned woman serving hot dogs and playing music on a CD player has turned into a large gathering for neighbors to promote peace on the last day of school.
Six years ago, Taunya Cole witnessed a fight between children on the final day of class. Cole decided she wouldn't let that happen in her neighborhood again. The next year, she threw a part to mark the end of the school year and say "good job" to the youth in her community.
The party offers free entertainment, food, bounce houses, a water slide and prizes at the corner of Blount St. and High St. in Fort Myers.
It runs from 12 pm to 4:30 pm.
- Lee deputies investigating death on Bokeelia. ID released
- Fort Myers criminal defense attorney commits suicide
- Lee deputies searching for 7-Eleven robber
- Charlotte County deputies investigate shooting at a party
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp festival happening this weekend
- Child Struck And Killed By Vehicle In Bonita Springs.
- Skydiver, pilot treated after midair accident