|Published:||Jun 04, 2011 2:24 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 04, 2011 1:23 AM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - Shannon Smith says her sister Nicole was a lot of things... a sister, daughter, and friend. But being a mother to 3 month-old Jaleah Aria Smith was her life.
"She loved being a mom. her friends, her family, life really," Shannon Smith said.
Sunday, 32 year-old Connell Carroll allegedly shot and killed 22 year-old Nicole Smith, his girlfriend, after the two got into an argument at a home on Brookhill Drive in Fort Myers. Two days later, the U.S. Marshall's Task Force tracked the suspect down, arresting him, even after he tried to escape by jumping in a canal Carroll is behind bars, charged with Second Degree Murder.
Smith's family doesn't want to talk about what happened. It's too painful. Their number one priority now, is taking care of little Jaleah. They've set up a fund in her name, and placed donation bins throughout the area, hoping the community will help them raise the baby girl the best they can.
"It will help with diapers, formula, clothes for her, when she gets older, schooling," Shannon Smith said.
They say the support they've gotten from the community so far, has made all the difference.
The fund is set up at Fifth-Third Bank under Jaleah Aria-Nicole Smith.
Other donation spots are located at:
Tangles & Tans, Pine Island Road in Cape Coral
Trader Tots Consignment Store, Pine Island Road in Cape Coral
Gigi's Pet Spa, Chiquita Blvd in Cape Coral,
Sunstate Academy, Colonial Blvd in Fort Myers
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Woman allegedly steals iPhone 5S from Verizon Store
- Vehicle catches fire on Oil Well Rd.
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- CCSO investigates possible link in Waffle House robberies
- Lee's family talks about new 911 dispatcher training
- Dump truck and car crash on SW 20th Ave.
- Driver in crash that killed Cypress Lake grad was drunk
- Estero firefighters rescue impaled seagull
- Lehigh Middle student allegedly brings knife to school