|Published:||Apr 21, 2011 8:17 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 21, 2011 5:18 PM EDT|
MIRAMAR, Fla. (AP) - Police have identified the woman whose body was found in a South Florida apartment after a 911 caller reported that she had been shot by her toddler son.
Thirty-three-year-old Julia Bennett was found at her Miramar apartment Wednesday evening. Neighbors described hearing one gunshot at about 7 p.m.
Miramar police spokeswoman Tania Rues said Thursday that the father of the 2 1/2 years old boy had placed the 911 call. He told investigators the child had somehow accessed the gun and accidentally fired it.
The father has a concealed weapons permit for the firearm.
Investigators tried to talk to the boy, but said he does not appear to understand what happened.
The investigation is continuing.
(Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings spotted in SC
- Gov. Scott wants to cut auto registration fees
- 3-year-old allegedly sets Cape Coral apartment fire
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Fla man jailed after losing $100 in card game
- Woman allegedly caught on camera taking wallet, using card
- Bike run to benefit Toys for Tots this Saturday
- Boy, 4, may have died of bacterial meningitis
- Lee-DOH reports 5 raccoon bites in less than 3 weeks
- St. Pete woman accidentally shot boyfriend