|Published:||Apr 20, 2011 9:00 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 20, 2011 5:58 PM EDT|
WASHINGTON (AP) - A White House official says President Barack Obama plans to attend next week's launch of space shuttle Endeavour.
He will be joined by his wife, Michelle, and daughters Malia and Sasha.
Obama had already planned to be in Florida that day to give a commencement address at Miami Dade College.
The April 29 launch is the next-to-last flight for the shuttle fleet. It will be led by Mark Kelly, the husband of Arizona congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords. Giffords was critically wounded during a shooting in Tucson in January and is awaiting clearance from her doctors to attend.
The White House official asked not to be named to speak freely ahead of a formal announcement about Obama's plans.
- I-75 south lanes closed near Sarasota after crash
- Police: Driver hits biker, drives with him on car
- Fire destroys home, 2 cars, motorcycle in Port Charlotte
- iGeneration Charter School in Immokalee shuts down
- Naples Botanical Garden Night Lights kicks off tonight
- City of Palms Classic tips off in Fort Myers
- Service planned to remember missing Fla. mom, kids
- Florida U.S. Senator offers to go to Iran for CIA contractor
- Inmate charged in central Fla. woman's 2011 death
- Firefighters find body in Ocala home; dog rescued