|Published:||Apr 14, 2011 5:10 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Apr 13, 2011 11:01 PM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla. - Fire crews contained a brush fire burning near the Jamaica Bay community on Wednesday night near Six Mile Cypress Parkway and U.S. 41.
The fire started shortly after 8pm in a heavily wooded area. Firefighters estimate the fire burned between five and ten acres.
Fire crews worked to protect homes in Jamaica Bay from flying embers, but no homes were ever in any danger, and no evacuations were ordered.
Crews will monitor the fire scene overnight for any flare-ups.
- Early morning crash on US 41 kills pedestrian
- Man surrenders after stand-off in St. James City
- EPA safety testing closes Desoto Middle School today
- Interactive play to teach dangers of drug use
- Man accused of shooting neighbor's black Labrador
- Crash kills 3, injures 2 in central Fla.
- Bieber could get new trial date in Florida case
- FMB holds election for Town Council members
- Florida election a test for Obama health care law
- Injunction for husband of woman who drove in ocean