Published: Apr 04, 2011 6:51 PM EDT
Updated: Apr 04, 2011 3:52 PM EDT

CAPE CORAL, Fla.- A candle that was being used to light a room started a fire that caused $85,000 damage to one side of a duplex in the southeast Cape on Saturday.

Cape Coral Fire Dispatch received a 911 allat  8:32 p.m. reporting smoke coming from the right side of the duplex located at 622 SE 13th Terrace. Fire crews arrived on scene to heavy smoke pouring from the front and roof of the duplex. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire by 9:01 p.m.

The home had been evacuated prior to the arrival of fire crews, and there were no injuries.

The opposite side of the duplex was not damaged.

Cape Fire Investigator Dave Webster arrived on scene to conduct the investigation. Webster found that the fire started in the master bedroom near the closet. The source of the fire was a candle being burned to help light the room after electricity was cut off due to non-payment.

The fire has been ruled accidental.

The structure was red-tagged by the City’s building inspector, and LCEC arrived to remove the electric meter.