|Published:||Mar 19, 2011 6:40 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Mar 19, 2011 3:40 PM EDT|
TAMPA (AP) - A southwest Florida mom fed up with her son's bad grades forced the 15-year-old to wear a sign revealing his 1.22 GPA.
The sign around James Mond's neck also read "honk if I need an education."
Ronda Holder said she wants her son to understand the importance of an education and what it's like to end up on the street. Neither Holder nor the boy's father graduated high school. Holder says she doesn't want her son to follow in their path.
School officials have since enrolled the teen in after-school tutoring.
The teen said he understands his mom was trying to teach him a lesson and knows that he should work harder in school.
Child welfare officials are investigating whether it falls under bizarre punishment, which might be maltreatment.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Three hospitalized after early morning Cape Coral crash
- Lee deputies searching for 7-Eleven robber
- Lee deputies investigating death on Bokeelia
- Charlotte County deputies investigate shooting at a party
- Fort Myers criminal defense attorney commits suicide
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp festival happening this weekend
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge