|Published:||Mar 02, 2011 10:30 PM EST|
|Updated:||Mar 02, 2011 7:30 PM EST|
LEE COUNTY, Fla - It's wacky, it's wild, it's wonderful you say...it must be Read Across America Day!
In schools all over the U.S., and right here in Southwest Florida, schools are brimming with guests doing their best impressions of Dr. Seuss.
All this month, schools are celebrating Read Across America. It was started by the National Education Association (NEA) and is an annual reading motivation and awareness program that calls for every child in every community to celebrate reading on March 2, the birthday of beloved children's author Dr. Seuss.
In cities and towns across the nation, teachers, teenagers, librarians, politicians, actors, athletes, parents, grandparents, and others develop NEA's Read Across America activities to bring reading excitement to children of all ages. Governors, mayors, and other elected officials recognize the role reading plays in their communities with proclamations and floor statements. Athletes and actors issue reading challenges to young readers. And teachers and principals seem to be more than happy to dye their hair green or be duct-taped to a wall if it boosts their students' reading.
WINK News Anchors are part of the fun...Lois Thome read to 2nd, 3rd and 4th graders at Allen Park Elementary in Fort Myers, Cayle Thompson read at Skyline Elementary in Cape Coral and Chris Cifatte shared some books at Sunshine Elementary in Lehigh Acres.
Learn more about Read Across America at:
- Teacher accused of relationship with 18 y/o student resigns
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- Judge approves Cape Coral fire assessment
- Ida Baker assistant principal put on leave
- 1 suspect in Miami-Dade police manhunt identified
- Police chief resigns in troubled Fla. city
- Radel makes Forbes' list of 'biggest career crashes of 2013'
- Fake service dogs hurting those who actually need them
- Desoto County deputy admits to lying about beating