|Published:||Feb 28, 2011 10:19 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 28, 2011 7:20 PM EST|
SCOTTSMOOR, Fla. - A 1,000-acre wildfire closed a 20-mile section of Interstate 95 along Florida's Space Coast and forced the evacuation of nearby campgrounds and trailer parks.
The Florida Highway Patrol ordered the highway closure Monday after the fire jumped a section of the interstate highway located around the border of Brevard and Volusia counties. The shutdown extended in both directions from the Brevard County community of Mims to Edgewater in Volusia County.
No permanent structures were immediately threatened by the wildfire.
--- Information from: Florida Today, http://www.floridatoday.com
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- FGCU one win away from NCAA Tournament appearance
- Sailboat off Marco Island tries to ride out Thursday's storm
- Search continues for missing spring breaker
- Man accused of killing dog with pickaxe appears in court
- Fla. teen shot by grandfather during argument
- Suspected police impersonator was fed agent
- Cape Coral firefighters investigate trash compactor fire
- It's almost time to 'spring forward'
- Cape woman at center of life support controversy passes away
- Gay-straight club lawsuit to be move forward