|Published:||Feb 21, 2011 4:48 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 21, 2011 1:49 PM EST|
RIVERVIEW - Hundreds of students turned out for a sunrise memorial service for a Tampa Bay teen killed in a bull-riding accident.
Brooke Ann Coats died Friday after being thrown from a bull and kicked in the chest. The Riverview High School sophomore was riding at the 301 Rodeo in Tampa. She was able to stand and walk out of the ring, but then had trouble breathing and collapsed.
Grief counselors were available at the high school Monday.
The Hillsborough Sheriff's Office says its investigation continues. A sheriff's spokesman says Brooke was an experienced bull rider who was wearing a helmet and a vest when she was thrown.
The rodeo's organizers say Brooke was a favorite at the rodeo "because of her love for the sport."
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Cab driver saves family from mobile home fire
- Boil water notice in effect after N. Ft. Myers main break
- School bus catches fire in Lehigh Acres
- Kohl's keeps doors open 'round the clock until Christmas Eve
- Officials: At least 20 whales in deeper water
- Warrants detail accusations in Jameis Winston case
- Miami man allegedly hid drugs in truck's door panel
- Oma's Heart to give out last vouchers for holiday toys
- EXCLUSIVE: Watlington family looking ahead, but still grieve
- New bridge has glitch that keeps a section up for 30 minutes