|Published:||Feb 21, 2011 4:48 PM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 21, 2011 1:49 PM EST|
RIVERVIEW - Hundreds of students turned out for a sunrise memorial service for a Tampa Bay teen killed in a bull-riding accident.
Brooke Ann Coats died Friday after being thrown from a bull and kicked in the chest. The Riverview High School sophomore was riding at the 301 Rodeo in Tampa. She was able to stand and walk out of the ring, but then had trouble breathing and collapsed.
Grief counselors were available at the high school Monday.
The Hillsborough Sheriff's Office says its investigation continues. A sheriff's spokesman says Brooke was an experienced bull rider who was wearing a helmet and a vest when she was thrown.
The rodeo's organizers say Brooke was a favorite at the rodeo "because of her love for the sport."
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Police arrest man who crashed his car into Cape canal
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Woman's throat slit by daughter's boyfriend, 15
- Crist defends President Obama, blasts Scott
- FMPD arrests 2, seizes drugs, cash and handgun during search
- Driver suffers serious injuries after causing 3-car crash
- CCSO investigates Waffle House armed robbery
- Men allegedly point guns at FMPD officers
- Security plans for Boston Marathon to be detailed
- Woman dies after driving into pond