BONITA SPRINGS, Fla- The top story of a Bonita Springs vacation rental home is destroyed by fire overnight.
The two people in the home and their pet made it outside safely. The fire was reported just after 4am on Bayshore Road. Apparently the tenants thought the fire they had in the fireplace last night was out but something sparked up and started burning again, catching the roof and attic on fire.
Firefighters say they had a difficult time putting the fire out. First, the home is at the end of a private drive that made it hard to get too. Second, the location of the flames. As the sun came up, smoke could still be seen smoldering over the home.
The state fire marshall is on the way to investigate the cause.