|Published:||Feb 05, 2011 2:05 AM EST|
|Updated:||Feb 04, 2011 11:05 PM EST|
COLLIER COUNTY, Fla. - A father accused of killing his wife and kids returned to a Collier County court room today. Mesac Damas is facing the death penalty if convicted. He's accused of slicing the throat of his wife and five kids in 2009. Now, his trial is delayed again.
A court appointed doctor conducting a mental health evaluation didn't complete it on time. The evaluation will allow the judge determine if Damas can serve as his own lawyer in trial.
Damas' parents and brother also in court today. They broke down in tears when Damas addressed them directly. Damas' brother tells WINK News the family doesn't want him to represent himself because he's not mentally capable to do so.
The judge has not set a new court date for the results of the third evaluation.
- Three hospitalized after early morning Cape Coral crash
- Lee deputies searching for 7-Eleven robber
- Lee deputies investigating death on Bokeelia
- Fort Myers criminal defense attorney commits suicide
- Charlotte County deputies investigate shooting at a party
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp festival happening this weekend