|Published:||Jan 28, 2011 9:45 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 28, 2011 4:18 PM EST|
PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla - Charlotte County Sheriff’s deputies arrested Joshua Hollister Newell of South Gulf Cove, after he shot up cocaine and crashed into a house.
CCSO received a call Thursday at 11:21 p.m. from a woman who said someone stole her pickup and she was following it, giving dispatchers continual locations. A deputy spotted both vehicles and attempted to make a traffic stop on the stolen pickup, but it kept going at a slow speed driving on and off the road.
The deputy said the driver appeared to aim for a big boulder, struck it, then crashed into the front of a house at 2018 Cannolot Blvd., Port Charlotte, entering the front of the residence. As deputies approached the pickup, Newell tried to kick out the windshield trying to get out, even though the side window was open. When deputies pulled him from the truck; he became violent and continued to resist. Deputies had to drive stun him with a taser three times.
The woman who reported the stolen pickup arrived and discovered the driver was her husband. Newell was transported to Peace River Regional Medical Center where doctors held him for observation due to cocaine found in his system. He was released and taken to the Charlotte County Jail around 5 a.m. this morning. Deputies found cocaine inside the pickup in plain view and a syringe needle on the floor of the truck which tested positive for cocaine. He was charged with Possession of Cocaine, Fleeing to Elude Police, Resisting Officers With Violence, and Possession of Drug Paraphernalia. Newell remains in jail on $8,500 bond.
No one in the home was injured but it did sustain major damage and the Charlotte County building inspector was called to inspect the home.
<a href="http://www.winknews.com/img/media/joshuahnewell.jpg"><img src="http://www.winknews.com/img/media/joshuahnewell.jpg" alt=""></a>
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings not alone
- 3-year-old allegedly sets Cape Coral apartment fire
- LCSO investigates North Ft. Myers homicide
- Suspect cuts Punta Gorda horse's mane
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Fla man jailed after losing $100 in card game
- Victim's parents ask for public's help in finding suspect
- Woman allegedly caught on camera taking wallet, using card
- Lee-DOH reports 5 raccoon bites in less than 3 weeks
- Bike run to benefit Toys for Tots this Saturday