|Published:||Jan 27, 2011 11:26 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 27, 2011 7:01 PM EST|
FORT MYERS- On Thursday, January 27, 2011, the School Resource Officer at North Fort Myers Academy of the Arts received information from school administrators that a student on school grounds was in possession of a firearm. The deputy learned school officials conducted a search of the student's backpack and found an unloaded 45 caliber handgun, two loaded magazines and three 45 caliber bullets. Both the weapon and ammunition were then turned over to, and secured by, law enforcement.
The subsequent investigation revealed the 13-year-old had no intention of hurting anyone and had unloaded the gun himself prior to placing it in his backpack. Investigators determined the suspect had only brought the gun to school to show off to his friends.
Based on information obtained through the course of the investigation, deputies arrested the student with one count of Possession of a Weapon on School Property, a third degree felony.
- Family hospitalized after eating meat with LSD
- Cape police arrest 2nd suspect in child neglect case
- Man posts Facebook video of himself jumping on manatees
- CCSO: Woman uses stolen credit card to buy TV
- Fmr Cape resident accused of attempted sex trafficking
- Music Man Redux - Teacher needs instruments for good cause
- Car drives into hole in Cape Coral
- Scammers call Charlotte County residents claiming to be CCU
- Alva students arrested for gun, caught with ammo day before
- Bill would make drug testing for candidates manditory