|Published:||Jan 24, 2011 6:52 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 24, 2011 3:54 PM EST|
COLLIER COUNTY- School District of Collier County elementary schools are taking part in numerous activities this week to promote Celebrate Literacy Week, Florida! Thanks to a $5,000 special literacy grant, the Kiwanis Club of Marco Island will host a “We Both Read and Write” event at Manatee Elementary School (MES) at 6 p.m., tomorrow (Tuesday), at the school located at 1880 Manatee Road. All kindergarten thru 5th grade students and their parents are encouraged to attend.
Reading is Fundamental (RIF), the nation’s largest children’s literacy organization in a multiyear partnership with Macy’s, has selected MES RIF programs sponsored by the Kiwanis Club of Marco Island to receive part of a $5,000 special literacy grant to host a Family Reading Celebration event for the families at MES. The Family Reading Celebration initiative is designed to empower families and communities to help children discover the joy of reading.
MES students will receive a “We Both Read and Write” book, and families will be writing a Family Book together. Parents have been signing up since before the holiday break to get ready for this special event. Each family decided what they wanted their family story to be about and was asked to bring in any special pictures or artifacts they want to include in their writing. Teachers will be on hand to help guide the families through the writing process and the school’s production team will be publishing the books for MES families to enjoy for years to come.
Many thanks go out to the Kiwanis of Marco Island and Macy’s for providing MES with the funds to make this possible for its families.
To learn more, please contact MES Reading Coach, Valerie Poling, or Media Specialist Mary Bryan at 377-7600.
- Cape Police find child living in deplorable conditions
- Deputies confiscate handgun from students at Alva Middle
- Lee County judge rules in favor of son in life or death case
- Ford logo creates close call for FGCU men's basketball team
- FGCU WINS!
- Teens arrested with gun at school were searched Wednesday
- Sailboat off Marco Island tries to ride out Thursday's storm
- Principal charged with sexually assaulting staffer
- WINK News viewers capture pictures, videos of SWFL storms
- New patrol cars to help combat traffic offenses