|Published:||Jan 20, 2011 6:09 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 20, 2011 3:10 PM EST|
MIAMI (AP) - Authorities say a Miami-Dade police officer was wounded in a shooting and transported to a local hospital.
Miami-Dade Police spokeswoman Cmdr. Nancy Perez says she doesn't know the severity of the officer's injuries from the Thursday shooting. Perez also says at least one suspect was shot.
Miami-Dade Public Schools says two schools have been placed on lockdown as a result of the shooting. Those schools are: Thena Crowder Elementary School and Jesse McCrary Elementary School.
John Schuster, the district spokesman, says students are safe and that the schools have been placed on lockdown as a precuation.
No one is being allowed in or out of the buildling. No additional information was immediately available.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Public IDs woman accused of stealing from elderly victim
- Motorcyclist injured after crash on Nelson at Tropicana
- Snow forecasted for Golden Gate Community Park Saturday
- Pilot whales change course, move closer to shore
- Officials: 20 whales spotted closer to shore
- 2 die in South Florida motorcycle crash
- Cape Fire Station 2 closes for repairs due to mold
- SWFL gathering Saturday to support elderly smack cam victim
- An iconic ship gets a chance to set sail on a new voyage
- Post Office offers help on Sundays