|Published:||Jan 19, 2011 5:06 AM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 18, 2011 8:49 PM EST|
LEE COUNTY, Fla. - Lee County deputies say the man who robbed a Fort Myers Beach bank is 66 year old John Bobby McGee.
Around 9:00 Tuesday morning, a man walked into the Wachovia Bank on Estero Blvd. in Fort Myers Beach.
The man had a package and implied it was a bomb. After taking an undisclosed amount of money, he took off. But deputies say he didn't go far. Later in the afternoon, the Sheriff's Office and the FBI tracked down John Bobby McGee to a Hampton Inn on the corner of Pine Ridge and Summerlin Roads.
"There's Sheriff's officers and cars all over and they won't let people in the parking lot, they won't let anybody out, they want to know if somebody checked in and paid cash," guest Joni Rausnitz said recalling the scene.
Guests said investigators were searching a room on the fourth floor. Around 5:00 Tuesday evening, deputies had their suspect and his vehicle in custody.
No one was hurt during the robbery and the suspicious package was x-rayed and determined not to be explosive.
McGee faces one charge of robbery and one charge of displaying or possessing a hoax bomb during the commission of a felony.
- Gov. Scott wants to cut auto registration fees
- Men called heroes after pulling man from Golden Gate lake
- Bike run to benefit Toys for Tots this Saturday
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- 3-year-old allegedly sets Cape Coral apartment fire
- Chiquita Lock changes operating hours for the holidays
- St. Pete woman accidentally shot boyfriend
- NASA suspects bad valve for space station trouble
- Boy, 4, may have died of bacterial meningitis
- North Fla. deputies fatally shoot man