|Published:||Jan 12, 2011 5:59 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 12, 2011 2:59 PM EST|
Charlotte County Sheriff’s Major Crimes Unit detectives are investigating an attempted robbery at the Shell/Circle-K station east of Punta Gorda this morning. CCSO received the call from the night clerk at 3:46 a.m. and responded to 6117 Duncan Road/US-17.
The clerk told deputies a man wearing a dark colored hooded sweat jacket came into the store and wanted to know where the safe was located; she said she couldn’t open it. The man then jumped over the counter and told her to go and stay in the bathroom. She waited a short time and peeked out to see the man in the refreshment machine area. At that time she fled the store and called CCSO on her cell phone. A customer pulled up to the gas pumps when the clerk exited and saw the man run out another door and fled into a wooded area behind the station.
Deputies and detectives set up a perimeter and a K9 Unit tracked the suspect to the area of Somerset Drive west of the station and lost the trail. A BOLO was issued for a white male, approximately 130 pounds, 5-6 tall, wearing gloves, blue hoodie with one eyehole and blue jeans. He was also wearing a dark color jacket.
If you have information about this attempted robbery, please call the CCSO at 941-639-2101 or Crime Stoppers at 800-780-TIPS (8477).
- Early morning crash on US 41 kills pedestrian
- Man surrenders after stand-off in St. James City
- EPA safety testing closes Desoto Middle School today
- Interactive play to teach dangers of drug use
- Man accused of shooting neighbor's black Labrador
- Crash kills 3, injures 2 in central Fla.
- Bieber could get new trial date in Florida case
- FMB holds election for Town Council members
- Stolen puppy returned to Pensacola pet store
- Injunction for husband of woman who drove in ocean