|Published:||Jan 09, 2011 5:25 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 09, 2011 2:25 PM EST|
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - A Florida State University student was killed and another injured in an accidental shooting in an off-campus apartment.
Authorities say 21-year-old Ashley Cowie of Orange Park was shot in the chest early Sunday when a rifle owned by 20-year-old Evan Wilhelm accidentally discharged. The bullet passed through Cowie and struck the wrist of 21-year-old Keith Savino of Tampa.
FSU Police Chief David Perry said the shooting occurred as Wilhelm was showing friends the new accessories on his rifle about 1:16 a.m.
Wilhelm, of Ponte Vedra Beach, was arrested on a manslaughter charged and booked into Leon County Jail. Wilhelm is a member of Lamda Chi Alpha fraternity. The shooting happened in Heritage Grove, an apartment complex that houses fraternity students.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Cape PD warns residents of housing scam
- Punta Gorda victim of theft follows and detains suspect
- 3 dead after plane crashes into Jacksonville pond
- Woman allegedly threatened to shoot man as he walked his dog
- Holiday event raises funds for non-profit spay/neuter clinic
- Florida skydiver falls with tangled parachute
- 3 headliners cancel music performances at SeaWorld
- Lee County Sheriff's deputies investigating copper theft