|Published:||Jan 06, 2011 10:46 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 06, 2011 8:46 PM EST|
CAPE CORAL, FL - A Cape Coral man is missing off the coast of Costa Rica after being swept away by a rip current.
Erik Downes is a student at Oglethorpe University in Georgia.
He and several other students and University staff members were on an ecological study in the Central American country when the accident occurred.
The Costa Rican coast guard has been searching for Downes since Tuesday when he disappeared.
Family members and friends are holding out hope that Erik will be found alive.
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Woman allegedly steals iPhone 5S from Verizon Store
- Vehicle catches fire on Oil Well Rd.
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- CCSO investigates possible link in Waffle House robberies
- Dump truck and car crash on SW 20th Ave.
- Lee's family talks about new 911 dispatcher training
- Driver in crash that killed Cypress Lake grad was drunk
- Estero firefighters rescue impaled seagull
- Men allegedly point guns at FMPD officers