|Published:||Jan 03, 2011 7:09 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 03, 2011 12:32 PM EST|
NAPLES, Fla. (AP) - Two teenagers face felony charges after pointing a laser light at a police helicopter.
Authorities say the teens were shining the laser pen into the air about 2 a.m. on New Year's Day. Two pilots in a tactical helicopter from the Collier County Sheriff's Office spotted the green laser beam while patrolling about 500 feet in the air.
The pilots were forced back to the hangar. They each suffered ruptured blood vessels in their left eyes and were treated at a local hospital.
Deputies tracked the light to a home where 19-year-old Hidlago Moreno and his 17-year-old friend said they were playing with the laser.
The teens were charged with pointing a laser at an aircraft operator, causing injury. --- Information from: Naples Daily News, http://www.naplesnews.com
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Update: Cape Coral kid hit by car doing 'a lot better'
- Suspect in custody after Orlando-area school shooting
- Sheriff: Fla. man kills wife, son with crossbow
- Gifts, volunteers needed for adopt-a-senior holiday program
- 'Hazmat situation' determined not suspicious
- Support for smack cam victim grows, victim responds
- Pt. Charlotte street closed due to roadway collapse
- Water main break blocks Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41
- Grinch steals Christmas trees from Lemon Bay students