|Published:||Jan 02, 2011 2:39 AM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 01, 2011 11:39 PM EST|
BRADENTON, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a Manatee County man was apparently injured by some celebratory New Year's Eve gunfire.
The sheriff's office says 36-year-old Robert Benafield of Bradenton was in his backyard just before midnight Friday when he felt a pain on his right side near his hip.
When he got inside, he realized he had been shot.
Deputies say a bullet entered about two inches above Benafield's hip and traveled down about five inches.
Benafield told deputies that he had heard gunfire as part of a New Year's celebration.
The sheriff's office said Saturday that Benafield was treated at a hospital and released.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Cape city workers find small mobile meth lab in the woods
- Cab driver saves family from mobile home fire
- Boil water notice in effect after N. Ft. Myers main break
- School bus catches fire in Lehigh Acres
- Attorney: Winston relieved no charges in sex case
- Officials: 35 pilot whales moving in deeper water
- Kohl's keeps doors open 'round the clock until Christmas Eve
- Miami man allegedly hid drugs in truck's door panel
- Oma's Heart to give out last vouchers for holiday toys
- JetBlue Airways opens flight route to Haiti