|Published:||Jan 01, 2011 10:02 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 01, 2011 7:02 PM EST|
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - A Tampa father is charged with attempted murder after allegedly stabbing his 6-year-old son more than 20 times.
The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office says 23-year-old Xavier Thomas had been watching New Year's Eve fireworks with relatives late Friday. When the fireworks were over, Thomas took his son, also named Xavier, to a play area in the apartment complex.
About a half hour later, Thomas returned without the boy but fled on foot when his relatives asked about the boy.
The family called authorities. Deputies say the blood-covered child appeared from the play area as they arrived.
The sheriff's office says none of the child's wounds were life-threatening.
Thomas was held without bond Saturday. Jail records did not show whether he had an attorney.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Woman allegedly steals iPhone 5S from Verizon Store
- Vehicle catches fire on Oil Well Rd.
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- CCSO investigates possible link in Waffle House robberies
- Lee's family talks about new 911 dispatcher training
- Dump truck and car crash on SW 20th Ave.
- Driver in crash that killed Cypress Lake grad was drunk
- Estero firefighters rescue impaled seagull
- FWC releases rehabilitated panther in Hendry County