|Published:||Jan 01, 2011 10:02 PM EST|
|Updated:||Jan 01, 2011 7:02 PM EST|
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - A Tampa father is charged with attempted murder after allegedly stabbing his 6-year-old son more than 20 times.
The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office says 23-year-old Xavier Thomas had been watching New Year's Eve fireworks with relatives late Friday. When the fireworks were over, Thomas took his son, also named Xavier, to a play area in the apartment complex.
About a half hour later, Thomas returned without the boy but fled on foot when his relatives asked about the boy.
The family called authorities. Deputies say the blood-covered child appeared from the play area as they arrived.
The sheriff's office says none of the child's wounds were life-threatening.
Thomas was held without bond Saturday. Jail records did not show whether he had an attorney.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Public IDs woman accused of stealing from elderly victim
- Motorcyclist injured after crash on Nelson at Tropicana
- Snow forecasted for Golden Gate Community Park Saturday
- Pilot whales change course, move closer to shore
- Officials: 20 whales spotted closer to shore
- 2 die in South Florida motorcycle crash
- Cape Fire Station 2 closes for repairs due to mold
- SWFL gathering Saturday to support elderly smack cam victim
- An iconic ship gets a chance to set sail on a new voyage
- Post Office offers help on Sundays