|Published:||Dec 31, 2010 4:33 PM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 31, 2010 1:34 PM EST|
POMPANO BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a South Florida teen who accidentally shot his younger sister in the leg has been charged with lying to detectives.
The Broward Sheriff's Office reports that the 14-year-old boy was charged Thursday with tampering with evidence and giving false information to law enforcement.
The boy had initially told investigators that he found the handgun in his backyard shortly before shooting his 10-year-old sister Wednesday night. Detectives later learned that he had had the gun for several months.
The boy's parents said they did not know he had been hiding a gun. The girl was taken to a Fort Lauderdale hospital Wednesday night and released several hours later.
Authorities still believe the shooting was an accident.
(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Teacher accused of relationship with 18 y/o student resigns
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- CCSO: Man threatens to shoot deputy during domestic dispute
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- Judge approves Cape Coral fire assessment
- Salvation Army receives another 'Mimi coin' donation
- 1 suspect in Miami-Dade police manhunt identified
- Ida Baker assistant principal put on leave
- Police chief resigns in troubled Fla. city
- Radel makes Forbes' list of 'biggest career crashes of 2013'