|Published:||Dec 28, 2010 5:51 PM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 28, 2010 2:52 PM EST|
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - A robbery suspect was shot and killed during a gunbattle that also claimed the life of a police dog.
Police say the suspect stole a car in a dollar store parking lot and evaded police for a half hour Monday night before crashing the vehicle. The suspect ran as a police helicopter tracked him. The K9, named Sarge, was let off the leash to pinpoint the suspect's location.
That's when shots were fired. Police say they aren't sure if the suspect shot Sarge or if the dog was caught in the gunfire exchange.
Jacksonville Police Chief John Hartley credited Sarge for keeping the officers safe.
The suspect's name has not been released. Police continue to look for a second suspect.
Three officers were placed on administrative leave pending an internal investigation.
--- Information from: The Florida Times-Union, http://www.jacksonville.com
(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Update: Cape Coral kid hit by car doing 'a lot better'
- Suspect in custody after Orlando-area school shooting
- Sheriff: Fla. man kills wife, son with crossbow
- Gifts, volunteers needed for adopt-a-senior holiday program
- 'Hazmat situation' determined not suspicious
- Pt. Charlotte street closed due to roadway collapse
- Support for smack cam victim grows, victim responds
- Water main break blocks Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41
- Grinch steals Christmas trees from Lemon Bay students