|Published:||Dec 24, 2010 6:28 PM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 24, 2010 9:05 AM EST|
SOUTH FORT MYERS, Fla.-An early morning car crash leaves one man dead and another injured. Authorities identified the victim as John Barber of Lehigh Acres. Passenger Norman Tong is in the hospital recovering from his injuries. The search for the driver is still underway and his identity hasn't been released.
The Florida Highway Patrol tells WINK News, alcohol was a factor in the accident. According to Florida Highway Patrol around 2am Friday morning, three men were in a four door sedan when hit a tree on Villmoore Lane, near Kimberly Terrace. This is near Winkler Road.
The force of the accident split the car into two pieces. Neighbors tell WINK News they heard a loud screeching sound followed by a bang. FHP says that sound was the car hitting a three different palm trees.
The car splt in half on impact. The man in the back seat died on scene. The two men in the front and passenger seat took off on foot.
A few minutes later, FHP says the passenger called police and told them what happened. He came back to scene and was taken to Lee Memorial Hospital to be treated for his injuries. The search for the driver continues.
Trust WINK News to break more details in this developing story.
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings not alone
- LCSO investigates North Ft. Myers homicide
- Victim's parents ask for public's help in finding suspect
- Five years fatality free: Florida set to break gator record
- Man who lost leg to propeller unable to reach settlement
- Templeton Shootout drives millions into Naples economy
- House to tackle flood insurance rate hikes
- Neighbors say homicide victim was loved by everyone
- Naples shelter combats domestic violence one gift at a time
- FWC reports 20th panther mortality for 2013