|Published:||Dec 22, 2010 12:23 AM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 21, 2010 9:21 PM EST|
CAPE CORAL, Fla.- Deputies have been investigating former financial advisor John Romanoff for two years now.
According to court records, he told a number of investors their money was going toward "Island Way", a company that owns refreshment stands across the state. But deputies say he spent the money on himself, and the $350,000 may be gone for good.
"Mr. Romanoff knew all these people fairly well either professionally or personally," said LCSO Detective Mark Zellman.
Zellman says it's important to do your homework if you're planning on investing in a small business. Make sure the venture exists, and draw up a contract if you need to. Also look into if the person or business you are investing with has any civil suits pending against them.
- Cape city workers find small mobile meth lab in the woods
- Cab driver saves family from mobile home fire
- Boil water notice in effect after N. Ft. Myers main break
- Officials: 35 pilot whales moving in deeper water
- Attorney: Winston relieved no charges in sex case
- Kohl's keeps doors open 'round the clock until Christmas Eve
- Miami man allegedly hid drugs in truck's door panel
- JetBlue Airways opens flight route to Haiti
- FMPD arrests 3 teenaged vehicle burglary suspects
- A song from behind bars: An unlikely story