|Published:||Dec 22, 2010 1:02 AM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 21, 2010 9:17 PM EST|
CAPE CORAL, Fla. - Firefighters say the fast actions of two Northeast Cape Coral teens likely saved a neighboring family's home.
Daniel Quijada, 17, and his 18-year-old cousin, Laz Pena, tell WINK News they were playing soccer in the 2200 block of NE 15th Terrace when they smelled smoke.
Quijada quickly traced the smell to a neighbor's back patio. Inside the enclosed lanai, part of a fish tank filled with dozens of goldfish was on fire.
The teens called 911, then used a garden hose to douse the flames until firefighters could arrive.
Investigators say the fire may have started when the tank's filter motor overheated.
Damage to the home was limited to scorch marks on the exterior walls. Investigators say had the teens not been in the right place at the right time, the fire could have spread and destroyed the house.
The goldfish were able to be saved. The homeowner gave the fish to Quijada and Pena, who say they will take good care of them.
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Cape PD warns residents of housing scam
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 3 dead after plane crashes into Jacksonville pond
- Holiday event raises funds for non-profit spay/neuter clinic
- Florida skydiver falls with tangled parachute
- Woman allegedly threatened to shoot man as he walked his dog
- Lee County Sheriff's deputies investigating copper theft
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast, travel dicey
- NTSB releases preliminary report on Fla. jet crash