|Published:||Dec 17, 2010 4:20 PM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 17, 2010 1:21 PM EST|
GREELEY, Colo. (AP) - A Florida man convicted of killing a woman 33 years ago in Colorado has been sentenced to life in prison.
Fifty-two-year-old Marcello Maldonado Perez of Port Charlotte, Fla., was sentenced Thursday after a jury in Greeley convicted him of first-degree murder, kidnapping and sexual assault.
Prosecutors say he killed 22-year-old Mary Pierce in 1977. She was found stabbed to death two days after she disappeared from the convenience store where she worked.
The Greeley Tribune reports that Perez will be eligible for parole after 20 years under the law that was in effect at the time of the slaying.
With credit for the year he spent in jail before his conviction, he could seek parole in 2029, or sooner with credit for good behavior.
--- Information from: Greeley Daily Tribune, http://greeleytribune.com
(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Teacher accused of relationship with 18 y/o student resigns
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- Ida Baker assistant principal put on leave
- Fake service dogs hurting those who actually need them
- Men called heroes after pulling man from Golden Gate lake
- Residents are still homeless after a devastating Sept. fire
- Nate Lee continues to fight for 911 call system improvements
- Healthpark Medical Center adding 9 extra beds for season
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down