|Published:||Dec 16, 2010 12:32 AM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 15, 2010 9:32 PM EST|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - Forget traveling over the river and through the woods if you plan to make it home on time for the holidays. But a WINK News investigation finds, if you plan on flying to your destination, if you don't leave on the right date, you still might not make it in time for presents.
We looked through five years of travel statistics to come up with the best times to fly and which days to avoid around the Christmas holiday.
We found the highest priced tickets are for December 22nd and 23rd. Those are also the days where you're most likely to get delayed. In fact, in the most recent statistics released only 50% of the flights on the 22nd and 23rd arrived on time. The worst day to go home is on December 26th. The flight is expensive and again on time performance dropped to about 50%
So what are the best days to fly?
We found the cheapest flights on the 24th and 25th of December are also most likely to be on time. We also found that over a five-year period, the on time rate on those days jump to 75% and 80%.
If you're flying it's best to book a morning flight. They are more likely to be on time and if you do get delayed or your flight gets canceled, you have more chances to get to your destination.
Also, for those return trips you'll get better deals if you can stay through the new year and fly back on January 3rd or 4th.
- Rep. Trey Radel says he will not resign from Congress
- Driver suffers medical emergency, crashes into Cape home
- Rep. Trey Radel speaks publicly on arrest, rehab and future
- Cape murder/attempted suicide suspect released from hospital
- Man reportedly tried to lure 11 y/o into his vehicle
- McGregor Blvd.now open after vehicle hits pedestrian
- Crash at controversial intersection with new traffic light
- Wawa, Chipotle and others come to South Ft. Myers
- Wildlife officials say pelican injuries are on the rise
- FDLE arrests 6 in connection with the inmate escape scheme