|Published:||Dec 09, 2010 12:58 AM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 08, 2010 9:42 PM EST|
A 17 year old witness says, "He doused himself, and that's when I started really freaking out, I started trying to walk away and he started yelling, come back, I don't want to be alone."
The boy says he was walking to his brother's home in North Fort Myers when Lewis Phillips, a friend of the family, offered him a ride.
The boy says, "I got in the car and he went past my brothers and he started talking about not being with his ex and started talking about not wanting to be alone, then I saw the gas can in the back."
The boy says Lewis kept saying he wanted to kill himself, when he then drove to an empty field in a wooded area, the boy became terrified.
"He got in the car, and the whole thing caught on fire and he rolled out of the car on fire, and I freaked out I grabbed a sweatshirt tried to beat out the flame."
The boy, terrified, says he ran and called the last number dialed in his phone, his friend Kelsi.
"He called me he was out of breath and he was panicking and he told me to call 911."
Badly burned, Phillips took his clothes off and ran inside the closest neighbor's home.
The neighbor says, "He was just kept screaming that he was burning and needed help."
Phillips was air lifted to Tampa General Hospital.
"He just snapped, I don't think it was his fault, he was just going through a lot."
- Woman's throat slit by daughter's boyfriend, 15
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Woman allegedly steals iPhone 5S from Verizon Store
- Vehicle catches fire on Oil Well Rd.
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- CCSO investigates possible link in Waffle House robberies
- Dump truck and car crash on SW 20th Ave.
- Driver in crash that killed Cypress Lake grad was drunk
- FMPD arrests 2, seizes drugs, cash and handgun during search
- Driver suffers serious injuries after causing 3-car crash