|Published:||Dec 06, 2010 12:11 PM EST|
|Updated:||Dec 06, 2010 9:11 AM EST|
Donations may be down during this holiday season, but the good news is people are still looking for creative or small ways to give back. Technology and the creativity of charities are making it easier for people to give donations, and whether you are giving money, canned goods or items you just don't use anymore -- remember that how you give is important too.
Here are five easy steps you can take to make your dollar stretch when giving back this holiday season.
First -- many organizations ask for coats, toys and canned goods. Make sure when you are donating the items are in good condition and that the recipient charity is accepting these items.
Second -- give while you shop. Many businesses partner up with charities and they will donate a portion of their sales to a worthy cause.
You can donate through text messaging. This is fast and easy too- when you text the charity, the donation is just added to your cell phone bill. Although this is fast on your end, it can take the charity months to receive your generous gift so you can try donating directly to a charity's website if there is an urgent need.
Finally, give your time. In today's tight economy if giving money is a stretch, you can always give a little bit of your time by volunteering.
There are more than 12-hundred charitable organizations nationwide. To check out more tips for giving when times are tight -- you can visit www.BBB.org/charity.
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings not alone
- 3-year-old allegedly sets Cape Coral apartment fire
- LCSO investigates North Ft. Myers homicide
- Suspect cuts Punta Gorda horse's mane
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Fla man jailed after losing $100 in card game
- Woman allegedly caught on camera taking wallet, using card
- Victim's parents ask for public's help in finding suspect
- Lee-DOH reports 5 raccoon bites in less than 3 weeks
- Bike run to benefit Toys for Tots this Saturday