|Published:||Nov 29, 2010 11:24 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 29, 2010 8:26 PM EST|
LEE COUNTY, Fla - A Lee County teen is dead after accidentally shooting himself.
16 year-old, Noah Costa died from his injuries last week.
A spokesperson from Lee County Sheriff's Office said it happened when Noah Costa and a friend were ordering food at a Sonic on Gladiolus Drive in Fort Myers last Tuesday.
While waiting for their food inside the car, Costa apparently picked up the hand gun he had with him, put it under his chin, and pulled the trigger.
When it didn't go off, still pointing the gun under his chin, he pulled the trigger again.
The friend jumped out of the car and screamed for help.
John Sheehan, from Lee County sheriff's office says they are still investigating, but calls this shooting accidental.
He says the teen was "acting irresponsibly" with the gun.
Costa lived on Sanibel Island with his family.
Funeral services were held Sunday at the Sanibel Community Church.
Monday at Cypress Lake High School, grief counselors were on hand to counsel students who needed it.
According to his friends, Noah loved hockey as well as surfing, fishing, rock climbing, white water rafting...all things outdoors.
The sheriff's office is investigating how the 16 year-old was able to get a hand gun and who it belonged to.
- SB I-75 reopens after dump truck hit overpass
- Snitch Stoppers 239 founder arrested on drug charges
- Lehigh double murder suspect who fled will return to SWFL
- Fire breaks out at home where search warrant was served
- Police: Driver hits biker, drives with him on car
- Surveillance camera catches Citgo robbery suspect in the act
- Soldier surprises his children in time for Christmas
- FMPD makes arrest in Fifth Third Bank robbery
- Naples Botanical Garden Night Lights kicks off tonight
- Naples man claims coworker set him on fire