|Published:||Nov 25, 2010 12:06 AM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 24, 2010 9:08 PM EST|
LEE COUNTY, Fla. - Move over Black Friday. For area grocery stores, it's the day before Thanksgiving that requires all hands on deck.
Grocery stores like the Publix at Colonial and Summerlin in Ft. Myers were busy all day as last minute shoppers came in for stuffing, cranberries, and even the all-important turkey.
"I'm a last minute shopper," Alex Miller joked with WINK News. "Guilty as charged."
Miller and his two kids were shopping for a turkey. Miller said he was surprised how easily he got in and out of the store around 2:00 Wednesday afternoon.
"I expected more people," he said.
By 5:00, they started showing up. All check out lines were open and in use at the Publix store.
Publix stores will be closed on Thanksgiving. However, Wal-Mart, Winn Dixie and Sweetbay will be open. Shoppers should double check store hours if they need additional last minute items.
- Teacher accused of having relationship with student
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- Collier Co. begins looking for land to build soccer complex
- Mobile home destroyed in North Fort Myers fire
- Golisano Children's Hospital holds ceremonial groundbreaking
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- Historic central Fla. house moved on barge
- Fla. man guilty in taxi, food delivery robberies
- USDA predicts smaller citrus crop in Florida
- Search ends for 2 missing from migrants' raft