|Published:||Nov 19, 2010 8:45 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 19, 2010 5:31 PM EST|
FORT MYERS, Fla - Marching bands, fire trucks, favorite book characters, and local celebrities paraded around the school bus loop at Allen Park Elementary School on Friday.
The school's 10th Annual Author's Parade is a highlight for students, teachers and parents to celebrate literacy and the fun of reading and writing!
Students in kindergarten through fifth grade have worked for weeks writing and illustrating their own books, according to Sandee Foster, media specialist and organizer of the event.
Students dressed up as their favorite book characters and participate in a lively parade and celebration around the bus loop.
Along with the Green Wave Marching Band, there were members of the local Corvette Club, police cars, celebrities and many more fun
"This is just so much fun for our students," said Virginia Moore, principal of the 900+ student school. "We are so proud of the accomplishments our students have made in reading and we want to celebrate them! For the ninth year, Allen Park has been named a Reading Renaissance Master School.
"We're proud of our reading program here at Allen Park," says Moore. "It is an integral part of our school, and we set high standards for individual students to master and accelerate learning."
Allen Park has also been named an "A" school for the tenth year, says Moore. Kayce Campbell, a mother of two Allen Park students, looks forward to attending the parade each year. "It's fun to see all the kids participating in the parade and feeling proud of their reading and writing accomplishments," she said. "It's a nice celebration."
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Woman allegedly steals iPhone 5S from Verizon Store
- Vehicle catches fire on Oil Well Rd.
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- CCSO investigates possible link in Waffle House robberies
- Lee's family talks about new 911 dispatcher training
- Dump truck and car crash on SW 20th Ave.
- Driver in crash that killed Cypress Lake grad was drunk
- Estero firefighters rescue impaled seagull
- Lehigh Middle student allegedly brings knife to school