|Published:||Nov 18, 2010 6:31 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 18, 2010 3:31 PM EST|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) - A Florida woman is suing a debt collection company, saying the company harassed her by sending messages on Facebook to both her and her friends.
In court papers filed Thursday, Melanie Beacham of St. Petersburg says employees of Mark One Financial LLC contacted two of Beacham's Facebook friends and also sent texts and Facebook messages to Beacham regarding a car loan debt of $362.
Beacham's attorney, Billy Howard, says the debt collectors violated Beacham's privacy and that the tactics violate Florida's Consumer Collector Practices Act. It prohibits debt collectors from "engaging in any conduct which is abusive or harassing."
An attorney representing Mark One did not immediately return a call Thursday.
- North Fort Myers mobile home fire displaces family
- Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41 still closed Thursday morning
- School bus catches fire in Lehigh Acres
- Lehigh family wants schoolbus back
- Legal fate of FSU quarterback to be answered
- Oma's Heart to give out last vouchers for holiday toys
- EXCLUSIVE: Watlington family looking ahead, but still grieve
- New bridge has glitch that keeps a section up for 30 minutes
- Miami man allegedly hid drugs in truck's door panel