|Published:||Nov 18, 2010 10:18 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 18, 2010 7:16 PM EST|
CAPE CORAL, Fla - Eight children from Skyline Elementary are recovering after being injured in a bus crash.
The crash happened around 3:30 Thursday afternoon at the intersection of Pelican Blvd and SW 52nd St.
According to the police spokeswoman, the bus driver slammed the brakes to avoid hitting another car.
The bus still collided into the car, but "only lightly", said Connie Barron, Cape Coral Police spokeswoman.
Twenty-six children were on board at the time.
Eight were taken to Health Park for minor bumps and bruises.
The other children were either picked up by a parent on scene or loaded onto another bus to be taken home.
The northbound lanes of Pelican Blvd were closed during the accident.
The investigation continues.
It's unclear at this point if the bus driver will be issued a citation.
- I-75 south lanes closed near Sarasota after crash
- Snitch Stoppers 239 founder arrested on drug charges
- Lehigh double murder suspect who fled will return to SWFL
- Fire breaks out at home where search warrant was served
- Police: Driver hits biker, drives with him on car
- Surveillance camera catches Citgo robbery suspect in the act
- Naples Botanical Garden Night Lights kicks off tonight
- iGeneration Charter School in Immokalee shuts down
- Service planned to remember missing Fla. mom, kids
- Soldier surprises his children in time for Christmas