|Published:||Nov 16, 2010 5:01 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 16, 2010 2:02 PM EST|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - They go by the name Shoebox Monster and in just a few short weeks find themselves finalists in a nationwide contest for young bands.
14 year old Justin Whitmer plays the lead guitar and sings. 14 year old Mikal Mancini plays the bass and keyboard. This summer the two of them started writing songs playing together. Only a couple of weeks ago did 16 year old Jesse Speigel join the group as the drummer.
Monster Shoebox entered the School Jam USA contest to spread their music and is now one of 12 Semi-Finalists from the South Region and the only band from Florida. The online voting continues through November 30th. The ten finalists win money for new gear, their school music program and the chance to play at the finals in California. The lucky band to win it all plays live at the School Jam Finals in Germany.
Videos from Shoebox Monster and other Semi-Finalists can be seen and voted on at www.schooljamusa.com. The band played one of their original songs for WINK News on Tuesday morning.
- FMPD arrests 10 on drug charges, looking for 9 more
- SWFL residents join in March Against Monsanto
- Request to exhume remains from panhandle school rejected
- Fort Myers Dog Show takes over Lee Civic Center
- Immokalee man bites another mans ear off
- 90 acre brush fire in Charlotte County
- FWC hits water during 'Busiest Boating Weekend'