|Published:||Nov 15, 2010 6:06 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 15, 2010 3:06 PM EST|
MARATHON, Fla. (AP) - An off duty Coral Gables police officer has been charged after getting into a fight with a hotel employee in the Florida Keys.
According to an arrest warrant issued last week, Lt. Edward Claughton assaulted Justin Ahearn after an argument in October. Ahearn said the two had been talking earlier in the day. Later, Claughton called and asked Ahearn to come back to the resort so he could tip him. Ahearn said he met the officer outside and that's when he was attacked.
A witness said Claughton jumped on top of Ahearn, pushing him and trying to hit him. According to the warrant, Ahearn received cuts on his lip.
A spokeswoman for Coral Gables police said Monday that Claughton is on paid administrative leave pending investigation but declined further comment.
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Punta Gorda victim of theft follows and detains suspect
- Woman allegedly threatened to shoot man as he walked his dog
- 3 headliners cancel music performances at SeaWorld
- Lottery sales suspended at stores raided for illegal drugs
- CCSO: no reason to believe accused murderer heading to SWFL
- NTSB releases preliminary report on Fla. jet crash
- 3 people killed in Florida Panhandle boat crash
- Man who rescued motorcycle rider, killed in crash on Friday