|Published:||Nov 15, 2010 6:03 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 15, 2010 3:03 PM EST|
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - A DUI stop in southwest Florida has led authorities to a suspect wanted for the 2003 shooting death of a 23-year-old Ohio man.
Hillsborough County Deputy Felix Moret spotted a Lexus weaving in and out of traffic and nearly crashing into other cars early Sunday morning.
Moret said the driver, Michael Anthony Mitchell, smelled like alcohol and failed a sobriety test. As he went to handcuff Mitchell, the suspect struck Moret in the chest and ran off. Another officer followed him, eventually Tasering Mitchell.
Jail officials matched Mitchell's fingerprints to a man wanted for aggravated murder in Cincinnati and alerted authorities there. Mitchell, who has been featured on "America's Most Wanted," was charged with DUI and opposing an officer with violence.
- Cape city workers find small mobile meth lab in the woods
- Cab driver saves family from mobile home fire
- Boil water notice in effect after N. Ft. Myers main break
- Attorney: Winston relieved no charges in sex case
- Officials: 35 pilot whales moving in deeper water
- Kohl's keeps doors open 'round the clock until Christmas Eve
- Miami man allegedly hid drugs in truck's door panel
- JetBlue Airways opens flight route to Haiti
- FMPD arrests 3 teenaged vehicle burglary suspects
- A song from behind bars: An unlikely story