|Published:||Nov 15, 2010 6:03 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 15, 2010 3:03 PM EST|
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - A DUI stop in southwest Florida has led authorities to a suspect wanted for the 2003 shooting death of a 23-year-old Ohio man.
Hillsborough County Deputy Felix Moret spotted a Lexus weaving in and out of traffic and nearly crashing into other cars early Sunday morning.
Moret said the driver, Michael Anthony Mitchell, smelled like alcohol and failed a sobriety test. As he went to handcuff Mitchell, the suspect struck Moret in the chest and ran off. Another officer followed him, eventually Tasering Mitchell.
Jail officials matched Mitchell's fingerprints to a man wanted for aggravated murder in Cincinnati and alerted authorities there. Mitchell, who has been featured on "America's Most Wanted," was charged with DUI and opposing an officer with violence.
- Three hospitalized after early morning Cape Coral crash
- Lee deputies searching for 7-Eleven robber
- Lee deputies investigating death on Bokeelia
- Republican candidates take part in forum in Coliler County
- Charlotte County deputies investigate shooting at a party
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp festival happening this weekend