|Published:||Nov 10, 2010 4:39 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 10, 2010 1:39 PM EST|
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) - Police divers are searching South Florida waterways for body parts after a homeowner found a container floating in the water that contained human remains.
Fort Lauderdale Police Sgt. Frank Sousa said the man's body had been chopped up and placed in a container weighted down with concrete in an attempt to sink it. On Tuesday, police said the suspect went to great lengths to dispose of the body and conceal the victim's identity.
The medical examiner chipped through the concrete and found several body parts. Police did not go into detail and did not identify the victim.
Authorities are investigating whether the case is related to the slaying of Doris Lopez. Her body was found stuffed inside a cardboard barrel someone left inside her car last month in Delray Beach.
- Gov. Scott wants to cut auto registration fees
- 3-year-old allegedly sets Cape Coral apartment fire
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings spotted in SC
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Bike run to benefit Toys for Tots this Saturday
- Fla man jailed after losing $100 in card game
- Boy, 4, may have died of bacterial meningitis
- Woman allegedly caught on camera taking wallet, using card
- St. Pete woman accidentally shot boyfriend
- NASA suspects bad valve for space station trouble