|Published:||Nov 10, 2010 6:04 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 10, 2010 2:48 PM EST|
CAPE CORAL, Fla. - A motorcyclist was killed Monday night when his bike struck a mailbox on NW 9th Terrace.
William G. Ranagan III (DOB: 06/27/1963) was transported as a trauma alert to Cape Coral Hospital and died due to injuries suffered in the crash. Ranagan is the ninth traffic fatality this year in Cape Coral.
At 7:18 p.m. Cape Coral Police and Fire units responded to a crash in the 2200 block of NW 9th Terrace. A small, black/red compact motorcycle (aka mini-bike or pocket rocket) was traveling eastbound on NW 9th Terrace when it entered the front yard of the residence at 2212 NW 9th Terrace and struck a mailbox. The motorcycle continued to travel east, and the rider lost control of the bike while crossing the driveway of the residence. The motorcycle and rider came to rest just east of the driveway on NW 9th Terrace. Ranagan was transported via ambulance to the hospital where he died from his injuries. Next of kin has been notified.
A traffic homicide investigation is being conducted. Alcohol was a factor in the crash, and the victim was not wearing a helmet.
- North Fort Myers mobile home fire displaces family
- Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41 still closed Thursday morning
- School bus catches fire in Lehigh Acres
- Legal fate of FSU quarterback to be answered
- Oma's Heart to give out last vouchers for holiday toys
- EXCLUSIVE: Watlington family looking ahead, but still grieve
- Miami man allegedly hid drugs in truck's door panel
- New bridge has glitch that keeps a section up for 30 minutes
- Kohl's keeps doors open 'round the clock until Christmas Eve