|Published:||Nov 08, 2010 4:38 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 08, 2010 1:39 PM EST|
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - An Orange County deputy recovering from a near-fatal stabbing is thanking the community for its support.
The sheriff's office released a video late Saturday showing a bandaged Deputy Stephen Cook talking from his hospital room. Cook says the outpouring of support for him and his family has been "unbelieveable."
The 27-year veteran was stabbed Friday while investigating a report of a 7-Eleven employee stealing from the store. Authorities say the employee attacked Cook with a "cutting instrument." Cook then fatally shot the employee, identified as 25-year-old Gibran Flores-Remigio.
Authorities continue to investigate the incident.
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- Teacher accused of relationship with 18 y/o student resigns
- CCSO: Man threatens to shoot deputy during domestic dispute
- Mobile home destroyed in North Fort Myers fire
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- No plans to remove wreckage from fatal boat crash
- Judge approves Cape Coral fire assessment
- S Fla biologist recovering after rattlesnake bite
- Salvation Army receives another 'Mimi coin' donation
- 1 suspect in Miami-Dade police manhunt identified