|Published:||Nov 04, 2010 5:05 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Nov 04, 2010 2:05 PM EDT|
PENSACOLA, Fla. (AP) - While many people anxiously waited for the results on Election Day, a city council candidate in the Florida Panhandle decided to spend some time with her ailing dog.
Sherri Myers didn't know she had narrowly defeated Courtney Peterson in Pensacola's District 2 race until Wednesday morning. She had turned off her cell phone and missed calls Tuesday from the Pensacola News Journal seeking comment about her victory.
Myers says she didn't think she had any chance of winning, so she took her dog to Alabama for a day trip. The dog has throat cancer and is not expected to live much longer.
Myers is a 68-year-old attorney.
- Suspects in San Carlos Park home invasion caught
- FHP investigating accident Lehigh Acres
- State Board of Education to get legislative update
- Spada to host salon & spa event for at-risk girls
- How you can help tornado victims in Oklahoma
- Lee school board narrows down supt. search
- Vandals cause damage at St. Leo's Catholic church
- Florida emergency officials ready to assist OK victims
- McGregor Baptist offers way to Help Tornado Victims
- Cape councilman McClain stays