|Published:||Nov 03, 2010 4:10 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Nov 03, 2010 1:10 PM EDT|
NEWTON, N.C. (AP) - A North Carolina jury is set to resume deliberating the fate of a Florida man convicted of killing a state trooper.
Multiple media outlets reported that jurors in Newton deliberated more than an hour Tuesday before being sent home for the day.
Jurors are deciding the fate of Edwardo Wong Jr., of Ormond Beach, Fla. Wong was convicted of killing North Carolina Highway Patrol Trooper David Shawn Blanton Jr. during a traffic stop on Interstate 40 in Canton.
Defense lawyer Mark Melrose argued Tuesday that Wong should receive life in prison rather than the death penalty. Prosecutors want Wong to die for his crime, saying the murder of Blanton was carried out with extreme cruelty.
- FMPD arrests two for aggravated assault on law enforcement
- Power Outage Delays FGCU Game. Power Surge causes TV delay
- FGCU'S Road To March Madness Comes To An End
- FGCU takes on Mercer at 2 p.m. for ASUN Championship
- War Horse coming to the stage at Barbara B Mann
- Woman In Critical Condition after Motorcycle Crash In Charlo